Total Pageviews

Friday, January 26, 2018

“If the Lord is NOT my Shepherd” ~ H. Tom Milam

January 27, 2018
“If the Lord is NOT my Shepherd” ~ Tom Milam
Written on April 2, 2002

First published in "Musing of a Mountain Missionary" 
Poetry book, Vol. 2

If the Lord is not my shepherd, I shall always want!
I shall find no lasting rest,
I shall find no satisfaction,
tho’ green pastures surround my nest:
Will someone guide me for the best? 

I can never find longed for refreshment,
still waters have no movement.
Therefore makes no sound to allure me
 from the security of my tent;
If I’m not lead, I cannot find a place to lay my head,
Can someone teach me? I need fed. 

I shall not find restoration,
Because I do not know the depth of my separation.
Can someone show me consolation?
I shall not find a listening ear,
To counsel me while abiding here.
Will anyone take the time to care? 

I shall always need companions,
But where will they be when my valleys are canyons?
Who will stand with me to make a union? 

I shall always need a comforting touch,
My rod and staff is a crumbling crutch.
Age and use has brought me low,
Who can I lean on now, in life’s ebbing flow? 

I shall want more provision,
 Because the need is so great, while pondering decision;
Who shall set my table, as death I envision? 

I shall want for more power
As from death’s cold grip I tremble and cower.
Who will bring life to this fading flower? 

My vision is dim, I’m fading away;
I’m being emptied of life. Oh! What can I say?
This void would not be. Had I learned to pray? 

While living I wanted all I could get;
But I wagered my life and lost the bet!
Mercy is mocked and pity is passed;
Those things are now gone, that I so firmly grasped.
Will these things and I ever get together?
A voice says, “NO! YOU ARE LOST FOREVER!” 

And now I shall want for everything hereafter,
And the summation of the book is the sinners’ final chapter.
Who will go and follow me there?
All the days of my life, and the Prison House of Despair. 

Tom & Linda Milam
Missionaries to America
Phil. 2:16                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment